Sunday, May 18, 2008

Blue Nose Race Day


The picture that goes with this post is of myself and my Sister-In-Law, Jennifer, just after the Blue Nose. It should be added that Jenn ran a great race finishing in the top 1/3 of her age group. Way to go Jenn!

My race was kind of a mixed bag. Up until the morning of the race, I was unsure as to whether or not I was going to run or not due to a stomach virus I have been fighting for the past week or so. When I woke up this morning I decided to give it a shot.

When I got to the start line I must admit to being unsure as to what to expect, but figured the best way to go about it was to run to my original plan and make adjustments on how I felt. Things went pretty well until I hit a big hill at about 7.5 miles in - from this point I struggled to contain some nausea and a general lack of bounce in my legs for the next 3 miles. At about 10.5 miles, I decided to risk putting some gator-aid in to my body as I wasn't feeling great. As it turns out, I probably should have done this earlier. My body didn't reject it and I actually began to feel a bit better and was able to pick up the pace again and kick it pretty good from this point in until the end of the race.

So the damage is as follows
Time - 1:31:05
Good for 25th overall and 5th in my age group.

Prior to the race I had been hoping to go under 1:30:00. That said, considering how I felt and the fact that due to injury, I didn't really start training in earnest until about a month ago I'll take it. It is a funny thing about this running thing - I never seem to be completely satisfied. That said, thanks for the email Keith - when things started to go sour, I focused on form - I really think it helped me get through.

One other point of interest. There is a gentleman by the name of George Pothier, who is pretty much running royalty in these parts. Well, George had a run for the ages today. At 70 years of age, George finished the full marathon in 3:13, good enough for 7th overall. He really puts the rest of us to shame and I have the utmost admiration for his ability and dedication. What a performance!!!

4 comments:

Keith Benoit said...

King Pothier! Prince Schumph!

Nice run, dude! As I recall, top five in your age group was an early target. So: mission accomplished. Don't put too much stock in the clock. 25th overall and near 90 minutes is damn good. And with the offset you were just 65 seconds from 90 flat. A few swigs of gatorade early on might have erased that much. Who knows? Either way, you were under 7 minutes per mile. That sh_t ain't easy.

Be proud. Same goes for Jennifer. You both have a nice base started for a wicked fast Fall marathon.

Wish I coulda been there.

Now take it easy for a few (read: six) days. :)

Sonia said...

Woah you're fast!! Even with the virus and the injury! Great race! I heard the weather was awesome!

Steve Schumph said...

Thanks Keith - it was a bit of a struggle, but all things considered I will take it. Rest is definitely on the agenda for the next little while and then I will start a little bit of training for the Johnny Miles 1/2 in June.

Steve Schumph said...

Thanks Sonia - appreciate the comments. You are right about the weather. In Halifax we are blessed, weather wise, with great Autumns and cursed with crappy Springs. That said, yesterday was about as good as it can get for this time of year in this neck of the woods. I could have stood for a little less wind, but that would be nitpicking. It was a great race.

Halifax Weather