Monday, August 25, 2008

The Agony of De-Feet

I haven't been blogging for a while. It has been a combination of a couple of things actually. Vacation actually proved to interrupt the normal flow of my days which meant that I didn't report to much of what was going on from a training standpoint. As well, I have been putting up with some pain in my feet that has really put a damper on my training - to the extent that I haven't been able to train as I would like... which gave me a whole lot less to report on.

So the problem. I have had pain that starts out as what feels like a cramp on the bottom of my foot during a run and then transitions to a pain on the bone on the outside of my foot. This started in my left foot only, however, recently has been starting to appear in my right foot as well. I have been to my doctor and was sent to get a bone scan on Friday. I am not sure what the issue is, but it comes right as I was getting serious about my marathon training. For example, yesterday, I ended up stopping my long run after 13 miles as opposed to the 20 I had intended. As I am feeling great from a cardiovascular point of view, this is really frustrating.

I did run a race I didn't report on earlier this month. I actually ran Natal Day 6 Miler on the morning of my return from vacation. The journey to the race is almost a marathon in itself. We left Corner Brook, Newfoundland to head for the ferry back to Nova Scotia at 7:30 am. After a 2 hour drive we got to the ferry terminal, waited for 2 hours and then boarded the ferry. Seven hours later we arrived in Nova Scotia and started our drive to Halifax. After a slow drive from the ferry terminal (eating and car troubles got in the way) we arrived home at 10:30 that night. Unpacked the car, got to sleep at around midnight and was back up at 6:30 am to get ready for the 8:15 race start. It was an exceedingly humid day and I have to admit to not running very well finishing the 6 mile race in 40:08 - it may have been the hardest 6 miles of my life. I have an issue with starting races too quickly.

So, all in all, training has been frustrating lately. I am being cautious toward running right now, running slower and decreasing my distance in an effort to protect myself. That said, my attempt at a Boston Qualifier may be in jeopardy as it is extremely difficult for me to train like I would like.

3 comments:

Keith Benoit said...

How many miles do you have on your current shoes? For a guy of your size, I wouldn't push a pair beyond 300 miles. IOW, 40-mile week x 8weeks is max. Please don't tell me that you're using the same shoes from early '08 or, gawd forbid, late '07. If so, that may be your foot problem right there.

Steve Schumph said...

Turns out I always cycle three pairs of running shoes. The three I am currently using are as follows:

Adidas Adistar Cushions - 270 Miles
Asics Gel Nimbus - 140 Miles
Puma Conncinity - 70 Miles

I use the Cushions for recovery and tempo runs, the Nimbus' for long runs and the Conncinity's for Intervals and races. When this problem arose, I was on a long run in the Nimbi. So I don't think that is the issue.

Since this started I have incorporated a pair of new Saucony Grid Trigon Guide's that Jo got on a wicked sale when she had to travel stateside for work. Since starting them, I think things are starting to get a little better. My current thinking is that I may have needed a little more support than the cushioning shoes provided. I am still awaiting bone scan results so I will let you know what comes of that.

Keith Benoit said...

I wear trigons only. I'm awaiting two new pairs in the mail today. BTW, Saucony has done away with the trigon name. They're now just the Saucony ride (neutral) and the guide (stability/cushion). I tried Pumas and almost didn't make it back alive. I went to a half in Lake Placid shortly after trying them and went to the Puma tent to tell the Puma guy about my bad experience. I told him the model I tried. He said, "Oh yeah, they sucked!" He gave me two free pairs of socks.

Halifax Weather