Thursday, October 9, 2008

Start your engines

Well it is just a few more days until the race and I am feeling pretty good. I am still fighting a nagging cold, hopefully, it will keep at bay. I am not getting enough sleep, but will have to make a concerted effort to get more sleep tonight and tomorrow night.

I have really tapered this time around. I last ran on Tuesday morning (6 X 400's) and am looking at running a 3 miler (1 mile warm-up and 2 miles at marathon pace) tomorrow morning in my last run prior to the race. I am itching to get the event on and am feeling a bit like a caged tiger at the moment - hopefully, this is a good sign.

One thing I will have to watch is to start out under control as I have had a history of breaking out too fast and abandoning my plan. This means keeping myself somewhere 7:15 and 7:25 min / mile to start. I have 3 goals in mind for the race. My minor goal would be to simply qualify for Boston - at my age that is a 3:20. My medium goal would be to go sub 3:10. This is a time that would qualify me regardless of age and is my true target. I have also created a stretch goal, however, that one I am keeping to myself as I don't want to put undue pressure on myself. Stay tuned post-race - I will share it if I make it.

3 comments:

Steve Schumph said...

I'm guessing your stretch goal is to beat Keith........

: )

Keith - are you worried?!

Good luck Steve

Love Joanne
(via Steve's login)

Steve Schumph said...

Nope - that actually not the goal. I'll let you in on it after the race.

Sonia said...

Good luck this week-end! You can do this... it takes a lot of willpower to not start to fast... LOL I don't think I've ever been able to do that in a race where I was trying to PB!

Halifax Weather