Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Days 1 & 2 of Marathon Training

Yesterday was Day 1 of my Fall Marathon Training preparation. I ran a 10 minute warm up run and then ran the following intervals:

1600 @ 5:48
1 min Resting Interval
1600 @ 5:55
1 min Resting Interval
1600 @ 6:01
10 min walk cool down


I must say that it was a tough run. I am still suffering from congestion due to a nasty cold I caught just prior to the Johnny Miles 1/2. Right now I have little energy, however, it is good to get the workout completed. For the record, I wanted to run each 1600 at 6:01 or less so I did meet the goal, though it was more difficult than I had envisioned.

Today I ran a 7.5 mile recovery run. Essentially, I am going to complete one run each week in which I simply go out and run without any concern as to what pace I am running. I must say I felt much better today than yesterday.

3 comments:

Sonia said...

Hope the cold goes away quickly! Have you decided which fall marathon you're running??

Steve Schumph said...

I am pretty sure it is going to be the Valley Harvest Marathon in Wolfville, Nova Scotia.

This is all presupposing that I stay healthy. My IT band issue from the Winter / Spring appears to be rearing its ugly head again - if it's not one thing it is another ;-)

That is what I am training towards at the moment, however, I am not going to risk long term injury simply to run it as there will always be other races.

How is your foot coming along since the treatment? Any races on your horizon?

Sonia said...

"If it's not one thing it is another ;-)"

I hear ya.... very frustrating!! It's hard to think long term but it's definitely the wiser choice... hence why I haven't run in 6 days 12h and 5 mins ;-)

Foot is feeling better, but not back to normal. It's very weird.... I'm still hoping! Thanks for asking! =)

Halifax Weather