Sunday, June 15, 2008

Johnny Miles 1/2 Marathon


Well, what has become to be a bit of an inopportune habit struck again this weekend just prior to the Johnny Miles 1/2 Marathon.... I got sick just a couple of days before. Anyway, this time it was a chest cold which in some respects may have been good in some ways. While it was difficult for me to breathe properly, running while sick forced me to start out slow.

As a matter of fact, I had kind of decided this morning to just go for a training run. I was looking at using it as my long run and would focus on my running form. Once started, however, I found myself trotting along at about a 6:40 pace after about 4 miles and decided that I might be able to hang in there.

Seeing people you know on the course is also a big help. I saw my wife and kids at the 6 mile mark and found that I was buoyed by seeing them just as I was starting to struggle a little. From this point forward, I simply tried to run consistent 6:50 - 6:59 miles. Doing so allowed me to finish in a new PR - 1:29:28. The funny thing is that I was so intent on hitting my mileage splits and running with form, that it was only late in the game that I realized I had a shot at a PR. I may pay for it tomorrow, however, as my chest is really congested now. With that said it was worth it.

The true highlight of the weekend though was watching my kids participate in the kids runs the day before the adult events. Both ran extremely well and did their Mom and Pop proud. They were extremely excited to get their finishers medals.

Kudos go out to my wife, yet again, for looking after the kids while I engage in an activity.

3 comments:

Keith Benoit said...

Yes, b'y! Sub-90! Congratulations, dude!

You didn't say where you finished. But I'm guessing that with a time like that and ~1500 runners, you prolly did OK. But cracking that time barrier is the coolest thing—at least it is to other running dweebs like me. Yes, it's arbitrary and meaningless in an Einsteinian sense. But Einstein only thought that way because he couldn't break 100 minutes even way back when he was in the patent office.

Steve Schumph said...

16th overall and 6th in my age group. This race has some real runners in it. For example, in the marathon the top 6 were all sub 2:50. Looking at the field and how people finished, it appears that this is the more serious race between the it and the Blue Nose.

Sonia said...

wooohoo! Great time congrats!!

Halifax Weather