Friday, July 18, 2008

365 Days - Approximately

I came to the realization that it is about one year since I started running after taking several years off. My latest incarnation as a runner is much different. In the past I simply ran to keep in shape. While ultimately, that is the same reason I run today, I have incorporated races into the overall scheme of things which I must admit has enabled me to be a lot more focused on things.

Last year at about this time, I was preparing to go with my family to Newfoundland for a family vacation when my Father-In-Law Archie mentioned that there was a 5K race taking place and that he thought I should consider entering. While I hadn’t been running for a few years, he knew that I used to run and made mention of it to me. As it was a relatively short distance, I figured what the heck; I should be able to gut it out with little training. So I ran the race, finishing in a pretty pedestrian 21:24. I wasn’t sure, whether or not I was going to continue running in any great fashion, but posted some pictures of myself running the 5K to show my friend Keith who is a regular marathon runner – one good enough to perpetually qualify for the Boston Marathon. His reaction, and it is seared into my mind, was “pretty good time for a guy carrying two hams around his waist”. He then mentioned my continuing running and that we could do a marathon together. So we looked at a couple of options and he came to Nova Scotia, where I live, and ran a local marathon with me serving as my pacer and coach. I didn’t have a bad race either as with a distinct lack of training I ended up missing qualifying for Boston by 11 seconds. That said, given that lack of training, I really didn’t deserve to qualify. Since that race I have caught the bug and this year have run a couple of half marathons with an eye to building up to a return to the same marathon I ran last fall.

So since last year I think you could say I have changed my physique enough through running to say I am now carrying Cornish Hens around my waist as opposed to hams. So thanks Archie for getting me started by mentioning the 5K and thanks Keith for providing the focus to carry on, by mentioning the hams and supporting me in the marathon. Finally, thanks to my wife, Joanne, for taking care of the kids at time when I am either training or running races – without the support the running would not happen at all!!

3 comments:

Sonia said...

Happy 1st runnaversary =)

wowzers! You ran a 21 min 5K on no training and being a little overweight... you've got some serious natural talent!! Wish you could give me some of that!! LOL


Thanks for the post in my cortisone injection. The past few months have been hard but hopefully things will look up now that I got the bike and will be doing more X-training!

Steve Schumph said...

You're welcome Booboo! I'm proud of your running accomplishments and you are a good inspiration to me.
Love,
Da wife

Steve Schumph said...

oops....obviously Steve was logged in here!! Seriously....Steve didn't leave those comments to himself......
: )
Joanne (online after Steve and posted while he was logged in.....)

Halifax Weather