Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Great Outdoors Wasn't So Great

Last week I ran outside for the first time since the injury started - a period of about 2 months. My physiotherapist and I wanted to put in an outside run as a test of my IT Band as it is generally known that running on unlevel surfaces can irritate the injury. Running on undulating terrain would help us to ascertain whether things were truly getting better. I was also motivated by a desire to run outdoors - frankly running on the treadmill is starting to get old.

Well, things didn't quite go as well as I had hoped. While it was lovely to run outdoors again, at about 2 miles in the IT Band began to flare up and by the time I finished (about 6.5 miles) it was quite painful. Due to travelling for work and my physiotherapist being off for a few days, I have not had any treatment since. I have managed a few runs on a treadmill, but must admit that there is currently more discomfort than prior to my jaunt outdoors. We may need to rethink the treatment strategy and, shudder the thought, I may have to take a prolonged period of time off as I am not seeing the progress I would like. With a Spring marathon out of the question, it may make more sense to focus on getting better and seeing if I can get in a position to start training for a Fall race.

3 comments:

Sonia said...

Hi Lumpfish!

I saw you just joined Runningmania =)

Sorry to hear about your IT band and knee pain. I've never been very good at listening to physiotherapist when I got my share of problems lol Hopefully, you can solve your issues for Bluenose.

Are you doing the Cabot Trail Relay Race? A bunch of us from RM are, maybe we'll see you there!

Steve Schumph said...

Hi Sonia,

Sorry for the late response. Frustration led me to a hiatus from the blog. Oh irresponsible me. Anyway, thanks for the nice thoughts.

Right now, I am not thinking of any races. I know my mentality and if I start to plan for one I may put myself in jeopardy. I tend to listen to my body better if I am not committed to anything. So for right now the emphasis is on getting better as opposed to doing serious training. That said, the moment I feel confident that I am getting better will be the moment I start putting a plan in place to start some races. However, I am still battling the injury.

As an update, it appears the problem is not truly an IT Band. It appears I have an alignment problem in my leg - I have had it since birth and known about it for a long time. Oddly enough, 25 years into my running life is when it flared up.

Cheers and if I get back I will check in with you first.

BTW - the Running Mania site is great!!!

Sonia said...

I think its a great idea to solve physical issues before attempting a training plan! Wish I was that wise lol

Halifax Weather