Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Running In Winter

This is, in essence, my first time running through Winter. Last year, I attempted to do so, however, ran into a pesky IT Band problem that stifled my ability to get out. So I have definitely discovered a few things in my limited Winter exposure thus far:

1. Reduce expectations. I have really noticed that my pace has suffered running on slushy roads and snow covered trails. The loss of traction, and therefore pace, has been much greater than I had anticipated. Which leads to.....

2. Run by time as opposed to distance. My running "partner" Keith has turned me on to this. The effort expended in running in conditions that are not ideal from a traction standpoint means that the amount of distance covered is going to be less than usual, however, the effort over a given time frame will be more than normal. Keeping this in mind, it makes sense to run for time. Winter is definitely not the time to focus on speed.

3. Get proper footwear. See earlier post about trail shoes.

4. Just enjoy running for the sake of running. The current weather conditions have me running to just keep an nice easy pace (think base training) and I find it refreshing to be just out there enjoying running for the sake of running again. At some point I will have to think about tempo and interval runs as I prepare for Boston, however, I think that will be a lot later than I had originally intended - which may not be a bad thing.

2 comments:

Sonia said...

I totally agree, lactate theshold and pace runs are meant to be done in GREAT weather. The snow, slugh, ice all prevents from targeting paces but it makes for a good workout nonetheless.

Don't forget to have fun! =)

Keith Benoit said...

What Sonia said.

I ran in very cold, very windy weather yesterday on a country road that is "bordered" on both sides by cornfields—imagine flat expanses broken only by the occasional farmhouse and shade tree. By the end of the run my face, the only exposed part of my body, was numb, and to the touch felt like an alligator handbag.

Man, it was cold. How cold? Well, the sound you just heard was my testicles finally dropping down from my abdomen.

Halifax Weather