Sunday, January 25, 2009

Time to Get Serious

Since my last race on October 12th, I have focused on base miles.... running at a pace to enhance my aerobic capacity with little or no concern to speed-work or hills in preparation for Boston. All that changes this week.

Here's what this week's tentative (I reserve the right to change things) schedule looks like:

Monday: 9 miles, 2 mile warm up, 5 miles @ 6:50 min / mile, 2 mile cool down
Tuesday: Recovery + speed 6 mi with 6 x 100 m strides
Wednesday: 40 - 50 min Spin Class
Thursday: Yasso 800's --> 10 x 800 meter repeats with 400 meter rest intervals (2 mile warm up, 2 mile cool down).
Friday: 5 mile recovery run.
Saturday: 18 mile long run

I will try to report how I actually do against this plan --> weather and sloth can always alter the best of intentions.

5 comments:

Steven Cohen said...

Well, that certainly seems ambitious, but attainable. But your weather has been nasty this winter, so good luck on that! And watch your step!

Steve Schumph said...

Ahh yes Steve... the steps. It is going to be about -17 C / 1 F at run time tomorrow morning... so despite my proclamations this evening, I may not be so motivated come run time ;-)

Keith Benoit said...

How's this: I'll do the exact same plan? The only diff is that I might exchange your Yassos for a (hopefully) comparably tough set of hill repeats. I use a certain suburban block that has ~ 250m up, 250m flat, 250m down, and 250m across. Rinse and repeat, seven or eight times, with a 1mile warmup and 1mile cool down.

BTW, where are you doing those repeats? I do mine on the track, so they're not exactly a fixture in my winter training sched. Do you, like me, usually treadmill the fast stuff in cold weather?

Steve Schumph said...

Not sure where I will do the repeats yet (treadmill or road). Sometimes I do them on the road using the Garmin to provide the distance guidance.

George Blackwood said...

Boston had better pray for mercy........

GB

Halifax Weather