Saturday, January 31, 2009

18 Mile Long Run

In the back of my mind, I had hoped to run this one at about 8 min / mile excepting a nasty stretch of roadway called Flamingo Drive at mile 16 which is about a 1/2 - 3/4 mile stretch of uphill nastiness. So how did I do against such goals:

I actually finished at a 7:52 min / mile pace including the nasty hill and even considering the sheets of ice that have encased the sidewalks of Halifax, Nova Scotia. To be truthfull, I ran about 90% of the run on the roads which are in much better shape, but there was about 10% of the run in which running on the aforementioned sidewalks was unavoidable. I felt strong out there today, in fact, I spent much of the time reigning myself in as opposed to trying to keep up to pace. A final aspect of the run that I was especially pleased with was my recovery from the hill climb. My final mile, just after the climb, was actually the fastest split I had today at 7:26 min / mile.

For a while, I was beginning to doubt the supposed benefits of base training that I had heard about as I had  been feeling sluggish in recent days. I must say that this past week, however, has renewed my faith in a period of long and slow runs. 

2 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

glad to hear of your success in the base training! I'm going for my lactate threshold test monday, and plan on heart rate training, so i'm happy to see your view on it. :D

Steve Schumph said...

I was really doubting the benefit for a while as after 3 months of base training I was feeling really sluggish. However, after being able to pick up the pace 17 miles into a run and having just completed a monster hill, I now realize that my fears were irrational. I should also add that I am noticing the speed aspect of things coming back now that I have started to put some focus on it.

Halifax Weather