Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Tough Week

I haven't posted in a few days. I have been fighting a cold and just haven't had much energy for running. As a result, I took Wednesday and Thursday off. On Friday morning, I got back into it and ran the following:

1 mile warmup @ 10:00 min / mile
4 miles @ 6:49 min / mile
1 mile cool down @ 10:00 min / mile

This was short of the intended 2 mile warm up, followed by 7 miles at tempo pace, followed by a 1 mile cool down. However, I shouldn't complain too much considering how tired I felt. 

Which leads me to today. Sometimes, you just have to realize that you need to rest after a hard work out. Despite running tempo miles yesterday, I set out for my long run today. It was, potentially, the worst run I have had in about a year. I had intended to run 20 miles at about an 8:00 min / mile pace, however, my body was having none of that and I actually ran 19 at about a 8:26 min / mile pace. I can take some consolation that the footing was extremely poor in the last 4 miles in particular, but in many ways I don't think I ever felt good on this run. 

Running is humbling that way. Last week, I couldn't have felt better on my long run and actually found myself reining myself in. A short 7 days later I found myself struggling to hold a much slower pace. The lesson, of course, is to get the proper rest between tough workouts and not blindly try to fit things in. Sometimes you know better, but still forge on when you shouldn't. Lesson learned..... again.

3 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

glad you're feeling better, sorry about the tough run, but you're so right. There's good and bad runs, and importance of recovery is often forgotten. Thanks for the reminder! Enjoy the rest of the weekend :)

Keith Benoit said...

Well said, Steve. "Lesson learned...again."

If it's any consolation, I think that's the way it is with most runners. And it's definitely that way with me. You have a good, hard workout, and instead of rewarding yourself with some downtime, you deceive yourself into thinking that your body, the one doing all the work, can go on fumes, a bowl of oatmeal and a banana.

I did more or less the same thing that you did today. Hard hill workout yesterday (Psyched!), followed by punishingly hard long one today. Aches everywhere now, almost certain unscheduled day off tomorrow.

Two steps forward, one step back.

Hope you feel better soon.

Steven Cohen said...

I wanted to add a comment, but those first two said everything, and I have no original thought to add. I just concur, and wish you well on your next run!

Halifax Weather