Sunday, February 1, 2009

Recovery, Recovery, Recovery

I was unsure whether or not I would run today, however, -4 Celsius with hardly a cloud in the sky and very little wind, completely convinced me to get out there. Due to the perfect conditions, footing excepted, I went for a leisurely 9 mile run at an 8:20 min / mile pace. I felt a little tenderness in my quads from yesterday's 18 mile jaunt, but outside of that felt great. I think days like today are the reason I run - perfect conditions lead to a perfect state of mind.

So, what goes on in that mind on a longish run? To be truthful, not much. And I think that is why the weather is so important. I find that running is my opportunity to clear out my head. I hear how some people are able to solve some of the most pressing problems in their lives when out on a run. Not me. I think it just provides me with the opportunity to flush my brain and the opportunity to focus on nothing but the run is the vehicle for doing just that. Having perfect weather conditions like I had today is simply a vehicle to enhance the whole experience. Some people would consider this missed opportunity, I consider it my mental and physical maintenance.

2 comments:

Steven Cohen said...

I love it when I run without any extra baggage (ipod) and just go. It does clear my head. Mowing the lawn is where I solve world problems!

Hey, funny man, when I ski I have to drive to get there, but I can ran from my house. Don't tell me you can't relate in Nova Scotia...

Steve Schumph said...

Point taken Steven ;-)

While you have described the reality quite well (I would have to do the same as you here), it just struck me as somewhat odd.

Make sure you take me to task from time to time :-)

And you are right, it was meant in jest.

Halifax Weather