Monday, February 11, 2008

Cautious Optimism - Neutral Outlook

I ran three miles on the treadmill yesterday. It was the first time since my most recent debacle in which I struggled to get to an equal distance. Things have changed for the better it seems as I finished the short distance without much in the way of pain.

So what was the difference? At my last physio appointment, the physiotherapist and her intrepid orthodic fitter took a look at my foot structure in relationship to the "support" running shoes I have traditionally worn. I have extremely low arches, which are typically the hallmark of an individual that needs "stability" or "motion control" shoes to control pronation (the rolling over of the foot during a running stride). Well, it appears that I may be an anomaly. After inspecting my feet, they came to the conclusion that, despite my low arches, I appear to have a "neutral" foot strike - one that does not need assistance from a shoe or orthotic shoe insert. When a guy who sells orthotics for a living tells you that you do not need them, you tend to take it as a reasonable position.

During my short run yesterday I wore a pair of "neutral" shoes and ran relatively comfortably - I say relatively as I had some lingering pain from this past Tuesday when I started the run. So while I was not completely without pain, I felt great overall in coparison to my previous outing.

So am I cured? I am not sure yet, however, I must say that the progress compared to my last outing has led me to be cautiously optimistic.

2 comments:

Keith Benoit said...

Good news for your health, bad news for your pocketbook. The shoes Cos don't make as many neutral shoes, so they're harder to get at discount. And they're more $$$ to start with.

This might also be a good time to consider switching brands. In my experience, Nike tends to be a softer shoe. They feel great off the shelf, but they always end up feeling a little too squishy by 100 miles. (IMO. Nike aficionados will no doubt disagree.)

And make sure you don't get (not yet) a performance trainer, most of which are neutral. They feel like butter, but will likely be too soft for you in the short- to medium-term.

For what it's worth, I wear the Saucony Trigon Ride. They're neutral, but they feel just like Hurricanes. And they go on sale.

Steve Schumph said...

Need a pair of 11 1/2 Hurricane's?

Been looking at a few different shoes. The aforementioned Rides, Saucony Triumph's, Asics Nimbus, Adidas Adistar Cushions and Supernova Cushions. I will have to try a few of those mentioned above before making a decision.

Sale pricing will definitely impact which of the above short list enters the final decision.

Halifax Weather