Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Physio - tight strings and a weak arse!

I had my first physio appointment today and things are looking up. Essentially, my IT Band problem appears to be a manifestation of two other issues. Essentially, my hamstrings in both legs are far too tight and my gluteus minimus on my right side (arse to you) is weak and needs strengthening. In describing the lack of flexibility in my hamstrings, she actually referred to me as "pathetic" in ability. I don't know if I have ever been referred to in that way for anything... however, it is the truth.

I have been given a series of exercises to complete in conjunction with treatments I will go under for the next little while.

The great news is that I can begin running again!!! I have to keep it below 5 miles per workout initially, but at least I am going to be out there. Whooo hooo! Blue Nose, here I come!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's the Ryan genes! When I had tendonitis in my achilles, my physio at the time commented on my hamstring inflexibility. As you know, in the past I've had knee troubles similar to what you've described. By the way, how does one test one's gluteus minimus strength? I guess now I can accurately refer to you as a, 'slack arse'.

Keith Benoit said...

Tight strings and a weak arse, eh? No biggie. I mean, that's also what they said about Itzhak Perlman, and look at how he turned out!

Steve Schumph said...

I might be a slack arse.. but, pardon the pun, it appears it is only on one side. I wonder which side of the family is responsible for that.

As for Itzhak, he can swing a mean bow, but I don't think he will be running 26.2 any time soon.

Halifax Weather