Friday, February 1, 2008

And the verdict is in.....

Well, not surprisingly, my Doctor has diagnosed me with "IT Band Friction Syndrome".

I like my Doc and I like her approach. She immediately suggested I go to physio, and rely on the physiotherapist to make a determination as to when I can run again. As she said, diagnosis, not rehabilitation is her game. So, beginning on Tuesday morning, I will be going to my first physio appointment to address this and hopefully return to the roads before long.

In the meantime, I am itching to get going. I have now missed a week of marathon training and figure I only have about a 2-3 week window in which to get back at it if I hope to run a Spring marathon. The more I look at it, the less likely it seems it will happen. Oh well, much worse things could happen in life.

Johnny Cochrane said, "if the glove don't fit, you must acquit".

Today I say, "If the knee's in pain, from the road you must refrain".

Have a great weekend!!

2 comments:

Legs and Wings said...

Hey Steve, I'm down in Bridgewater. I trust the IT business clears up and you can get back out there.

I ran the Blue Nose last May after a bunch of choppy training. I was following a plan but the wheels came off and I pretty much winged it come race day. Turned out okay. Don't worry about missing a bunch of time on the road, even if it's a couple of weeks...because your body will not suddenly forget what it has learned.

Cheers.

Steve Schumph said...

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the input - it actually aligns with what my Physiotherapist told me during my first visit this morning. Essentially, she has encouraged me to get back on the road ASAP - albeit in a limited way (4-5 miles per run). That said, she see no reason that I can't be ready for the Blue Nose - I just may need to scale back my expectations.

Thanks for the encouragement as it is appreciated!!!

Steve

Halifax Weather