Sunday, January 13, 2008

Eternal Frustration of the Injured Knee

Well I decided to go for a little longer run today to see if I could get back on track after missing the better part of a week with an injured knee. I wasn't quite sure how far I would go and was going to rely on my body for feedback.

Things did not begin well - within a quarter of a mile I was having a real bite in my knee.. to the extent that I was about to shut things down. Then suddenly things felt better, especially as long as I kept the pace down. I managed to get to one of my turnaround points (4.5 miles) on a trail I run quite frequently. The second half presented several points in which the knee started to bother me again. Anyway, I managed to finish 9 miles with an overall pace of 8:20 / mile. The pace was not really of any concern, however, the pain is. The odd thing about this is that as long as I am not running I do not feel any pain.

Anyway, the next scheduled run on Tuesday will be interesting. Did today's venture inflame things? I am hoping not. I must admit to being somewhat frustrated that the week off did not present me with any real improvement. I had been hoping that today would represent the beginning of my return to my base mileage. It may have represented the beginning of a prolonged period of rest. Arrrghh!!!

3 comments:

Keith Benoit said...

Injured knee? Not a problem. Not as long as you don't want to run in the Olympics.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/14/sports/othersports/14cnd-pistorius.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Steve Schumph said...

I am of two minds about this myself.

Quite an interesting World we are entering though... where from an athletic standpoint a disability can no longer be perceived as a liability and, in fact, may be the opposite. Prosthetics, the new HGH.

Keith Benoit said...

I'm not sure where to come down either. There will of course come a time when tech, whether prosthetics or biotech or whatever, will help the disabled not just catch up but surpass we "normals," but it's hard for me to see why the rules couldn't be changed when that day comes. Give the guy a break. I don't think there's a need for a strict constructionist approach to the rule book. Strict constructionism doesn't work for the Constitution, so there's no reason to think that it should work for a sports rule book.

BTW, signed up for Boston today. That'll help the motivation.

Halifax Weather