Saturday, January 12, 2008

Watching Progress

Up until this point in time I have relied solely on a standard running watch to monitor my running progress. I do find, however, that I would like to have a better understanding of my pace during a run. I am curious if any of the estimated 2 - 3 people that read this blog have had any experience with either the GPS or Footpod enabled watches. I have taken a look at both the Forerunner 50 and the Polar RS200sd. I am just curious as to whether anyone has anything negative or positive to say about either.

My wants are something that would allow me to monitor my current and overall pace while running and provide me with an easy way to monitor more detailed information post-run. I guess the other aspect of this would be if anyone recommends a GPS watch over the ones mentioned above and the rationale as to why.

Note: I am going to test out my knee in about an hour... wish me luck. I'll let you know how it went.

Update: I ran for 1/2 hour this afternoon easily. Good and bad news. First the bad; there has been no improvement in the knee in the past week. I still have a dull ache while running... though not otherwise. The good news is that while running for the 30 minutes the pain didn't get any worse. I think I will stretch things out a little distance wise tomorrow to test it further... unless, of course, things tighten up overnight.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have had the polar rs200sd and currently run in the garmin 305. The polar rs200sd has a smaller watch (yeah!), foot pod, and heart rate strap. That being said, I had some difficulty calibrating the foot pod and with switching shoes every day found that the same course would register two different run totals.

On the other hand, the garmin 305 has a larger face and can take some time to link up the satellite and you can lose the signal in tunnels or very dense forest, but like that i can just run with the watch and not wear the heart rate if i don't want to.

Garmin is coming out with a garmin 405 next month. Hope this helps!!

Steve Schumph said...

Thanks for the feedback... calibration would present an issue if I wasn't confident in the accuracy of the watch. I have seen video of the 405 and it does look sweet. Thanks for the info.

bobbyjohn said...

I've been using the RS200SD for over a year. It's a solid piece of hardware, very rugged and accurate too.

Keith Benoit said...

I wear a cheapo ironman, but I know my routes, so all I need to do is chrono my start and finish. I haven't taped the route, however. I use a Google pedometer (I started out with sueandpaul.com, one of the first (I think) to use the Google map info and api). I have heard people quibble about inaccuracies and the difficulty of adding enough points to represent the route, but I don't need that kind of accuracy. And I'd rather not be a slave to the gear. Not implying anything here--just my personal pref.

Halifax Weather