Tuesday, January 22, 2008

One Freaking Mile

I am slowly degenerating physically. I got up for my morning run this morning and after one mile had to admit that it wasn't going to happen, that the pain in the knee was too strong to continue. So I put my time to good use and did an abdominal workout.

One year ago, the very thought of getting up at 5:00 am would have seemed like a silly endeavor to be avoided at all costs. I have reached the point where I warmly embrace this ritual, at least most mornings, and am already missing it as it has been three weeks now since I last ran in the manner I like.

Officially, my training for a Spring marathon was supposed to begin this weekend and I had promised that I would train properly this time as opposed to the 8 weeks that I put in for my first one. Looks like I may have to begin changing my approach and looking towards a fall marathon as I think the next month or two may be about recovery as opposed to training.

The really frustrating aspect to all of this is the new focus I will have to place on my diet in an effort to not gain weight.... just when I was starting to see some gains in this area after a period of frustration. Arrgghhh!

No comments:

Halifax Weather