Tuesday, January 15, 2008

IT Band


I went for a 5 mile run on the treadmill this morning as we had overnight snow followed by freezing rain and the wimp in me said that going outside wasn't an option as a result.


No improvement to report in the knee, nor is it getting worse. I have been doing a little bit of research and am coming to the conclusion that I am having an issue with my Iliotibial (IT) band. The pain is on the outside of the knee and is not terrible, however, it becomes more pronounced when running up, or particularly, down hills. As well, I do, from time to time, have some pain in the buttocks, as opposed to being one.

I have begun to incorporate some IT Band specific stretching into my life as it can't hurt if my self diagnosis is incorrect. Anyone out there have an IT Band issue in the past? What helped you get through it? I am thinking about seeing my doc and, potentially, a physiotherapist in the near future to confirm/disprove my thoughts and provide measures to correct the current situation.

2 comments:

Keith Benoit said...

I was in an IT band once. We did Kraftwerk covers.

How old are your shoes, dude? When I first started running, I went about 500+ miles on a crappy pair of Brooks shoes. I went to a running clinic, where I mentioned that my outer knee was...tender. The physio there suggested some stretches, adding that my shoes were shot. I took a week off until my finishline.com order, two pairs of NB 715s, came in the mail. The knee hasn't been a problem since.

Prolly just a co-inky-dink, but think about it. You started out at 195lb on stability shoes, right? How many miles have you put on them? If you're past 300, a new pair might be in order, especially if they're a "softer" brand like Nike. (I have since switched from NB to Saucony, but the one thing I miss about the NB shoes I wore was their tank-like ruggedness.) Nike shoes feel great, but, IMO, they wear very fast.

My two cents.

Steve Schumph said...

The shoes I am currently wearing are Saucony Grid Hurricane's with about 150 miles on them. I also swap them out with a pair of New Balance 1050's that have a similar amount of miles... so I don't think that is the issue.

I agree with you about the NB ruggedness... I just don't find them to be a cushioned to the extent I like... hence the move to Saucony. All the above stated, I recently tried on a pair of Adidas Supernova Control's and may be inclined to give them a go in the future. I used to abhor the fit of all the Adidas shoes as they were far too narrow for me, but had heard they changed the last on which they were built and must admit to liking the fit of the new ones.

I haven't gone to see my Doc yet, but am buoyed that she is also a runner; in fact she is a marathon runner.

Your comment about Nike shoes is bang on. I only every buy them if they are on a great sale.

Halifax Weather